As I sit
listening to a technical session on management of large classrooms with 32
other soon-to-be English teachers, I hear the sound of chickens cackling and
roosters calling behind me. I watch a gaggle of pigs wandering about searching
for anything they can find to nibble. I have mud on my Chacos that is over an
inch think and I smell the sweet scent of rain mixed with burning garbage. The
“building” where our sessions take place is neither outside nor inside. It
doesn’t protect us from the smoldering heat or the freezing rain. The wind
blows the makeshift boards and papers around as the sketchy wire-exposed
extension cord attempts to power the shaky projector. There is breathtaking
view of foggy, lush mountainsides and fruit trees that is contrasted by muddy
latrines and hungry-looking dogs. Despite the many difficulties however, we
manage to discuss and learn about culture, education and language. My first
impressions of Mozambique all come down to one simple word- beautiful. The
landscape, the fog, the ocean, the people, the languages, the food, etc… all have
varying degrees of beauty. What an amazing country to be placed in. Of course
there are less beautiful things just like any other country- poverty, gender
roles and expectations, maltreatment of animals, and crime to name a few, but
these are problems found on different levels throughout the whole world.
Training is an
interesting experience similar in many ways to summer camp or freshman year of
college. You are placed in an environment where proximity and loneliness
determine many relationships. These relationships grow into cliques and gossip
or “fofoca” becomes a common past time. New and difficult experiences help
solidify these bonds. These are the only people that really understand what you
are doing and feeling at the moment. Training is a surreal experience where 68
Americans take over a small town in Africa for a few months, then leave to
become the only “white person” or “mulungu” in a town far far away. I am both
elated and sad for the end of training and the near future.
No comments:
Post a Comment