Saturday, April 13, 2013

My heart tugs for you-

So our school aims to be as international as possible. It has a partnership with Cuba as well America. Therefore along with us two Americans and Mozambicans from all over the country, we have 5 Cubans (all over 40)- 3 of which are brand new to Moz. My roommate and I have become Mozambican in the sense that we talk about them by their physical features and not their names- they have become the creepy Cuban, the fat Cuban, the new tall Cuban, the nice Cuban and the short Cuban (Hey! I realize this is not very politically correct and have since learned their names- so stop yelling at me in your head) Anyway, one of them (the tall one) fancies my roommate quite a bit (like a huge bit!). After having only spoken maybe 15-30 Spanish/Portuguese words with her, he decided he was in love. She left for a week and he was heartbroken- coming by every day to ask about her return. He wanted to “talk” with her. The day she arrived he planned on welcoming her later that night. My roommate and I were enjoying a TV show and some box wine when we heard a knock at the door. The Cuban entered and started with giving the normal greetings to us both. Then he sat down and focused all his energy on Theresa. I realized I was unwanted in this conversation and started to head to my room. I try desperately to stifle laughs as I pictured my roommate trying to reject a sweet, not unattractive, Cuban that is almost twice her age.  I cough/choke down laughter so as not to embarrass either of them.hehehe

Now in my room I have nothing to do, so I creepily poke my head out my door and listen to the ensuing doom forced upon my roommate by this lovesick man. He is pouring his heart out- telling her how sad he was that she was gone and saying things like: “my hear tugs for you,” “I want you to be my girlfriend,” “every time I see you my heart beats for you,” and “this must be a coincidence.”  His heart tugs for her! SERIOUSLY! Does he think he has a chance!!!! ….wow these Cubans really are romantics or they just really know how to wear a girl down with compliments!!! Of course I was laughing behind the scenes because this was not happening to me! As I listened, I found myself wanting to share my findings with my roommate and therefore pulled out a pen and paper. and began taking notes about his intoxicating level of cologne and how I have heard a thing or two about Latin lovers…
When he leaves I come down the hallway to a red-faced, flattered, yet embarrassed Theresa. We discussed the previous events and I decided I needed to blog about it. International love for sure…or is it “we found love in a hopeless place….” hehehe

No comments:

Post a Comment