Thursday, February 7, 2013

Waitin’ for your letter-


So the postal system here is interesting. I actually do receive packages, which is surprising. They manage to get half way around the world and to my doorstep (at least to this country- it takes a lot of work on my part to bring them to my doorstep). After I take a chapa to Maxixe, a boat chapa to Inhambane and then a 15-20 minute walk to the post office, I negotiate for my package  (or I should say my roommate negotiates) and then I head back home- give or take a 4 hour round trip.The Post Office recently hired a customs official to intercept our packages and apparently make life more difficult for us. A customs guy opens them up to make sure there are no drugs or illegal weapons. Then on occasion the scary customs guy decides to ask you to marry him and move your whole family to Mozambique to learn Portuguese. I politely say “no thanks” instead of “hell no” to the scary customs guy… and flash a smile. Not exactly corrupt- yet... An interesting way to waste a whole day, but hey it gives us a chance to eat chicken in town...mmmmmm yum

On a separate post office trip one of my friends went to pick up 4 birthday packages and she almost had to pay 7000 mets, which roughly is the equivalent of $241. OMG! She sat there crying and saying over and over again that their math was wrong. Meanwhile they suspected her of wanting to get out of paying customs. Finally, after hours of debating the issue, the head customs guy (chefe) came and re-calculated the numbers- only $30 actually. Happy Birthday to her and a 2 hour trip home with four packages! Easy as pie! Right?

Letters, postcards, pictures, and bigger envelopes do not have the same process. They go right to my neighboring town for me to casually pick up with no problems. Feel free to send me snail mail of any kind at:
Irma Anna Greer PCV
C.P. 31
Maxixe, Inhambane, Mozambique

If you write Irma Anna it means sister Anna and if you draw or write religious things on the outside it is less likely to get ripped open. Feel free to just write my real name too if you prefer.

If you decide to send me a package (which is completely unnecessary, but very sweet) these are the rules:

1.       Do not say that the contents are more than $50 or I will have to pay lots of customs tax
2.       Be very general- as in books $20, gifts $10, toys, candy etc…
3.       Write sister Anna Greer as person receiving package
4.       Draw/write religious things  in Portuguese (or English) on the outside to prevent opening
5.       Don’t send anything overseas that I can get here…it’s a waste of your money and time!
Wish list if you are inspired to send:
Pictures of you and your family, letters and life updates, small toys for neighborhood kids, decorations for a library or other things that would help start a library for children (in Portuguese or with no words), media (music, movies, tv shows, e-books) on a USB or external hard-drive, contact solution, sunscreen, coffee, French vanilla creamer, or whatever you are inspired to send to Africa (ask my mom as well- she always has good ideas of what I need!)
Muito Obrigada in advance for anything you choose to send or even if you briefly thought about it and decided it was a hassle (which it is!). I very much appreciate the thought (and the fact that you are even reading my blog at all!)

Gracias, Gratzie, Merci, Danke, y Thanks

1 comment:

  1. Good Day Cheyanne!

    Sorry to bother you. My name is Ray Blakney and I am a RPCV from Mexico. I am working on a 3rd goal project with the PC regional offices and the main office in DC to try to create an online archive to keep the language training material made all over the world from getting lost. I have created a sub-section on the website my wife and I run - http://www.livelingua.com - with all the information I have been able to get to date (from over the web and sent to me directly by PC staff and PCV's). I currently have close to 100 languages with ebooks, audios and even some videos.

    The next step for this project is that I am trying to get the world out about this resource so that it can not only be used by PCV's or those accepted into the Peace Corps, but also so that when people run across material that is not on the site they can send it to me and I can get it up for everybody to use. I was hoping that you could help getting the word out by putting a link on this on your site at:

    http://timeinmozambique.blogspot.com/

    so that people know it is there. There should be something there for almost everybody. It is all 100% free to use and share. Here is the specific page of the Peace Corps Archive:

    http://www.livelingua.com/peace-corps-language-courses.php

    Thanks for any help you can provide in making this 3rd goal project a success. And if anybody in your group has some old material they can scan or already have in digital form, and want to add to the archive, please don't hesitate to pass them my email. Thanks and have a great day.



    Ray Blakney
    blakney.ray@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete