I constantly get asked if I am going to marry a Mozambican
and stay here in Mozambique for the rest of my life. People act surprised when
I say that I do not want to get married until I meet the right guy. They say “you
don’t like black men?” as if I have offended them by saying I want love in my
marriage. You see here in Mozambique women get married and start having babies
as soon as they can. It is normal and part of the culture. If a woman is 25 and
has no man and no children, everyone assumes there is something wrong with her.
I go around trying to fend off people who want to marry me or find someone for
me to marry. Honestly, I would have no problem whatsoever marrying a
Mozambican. However, that will NEVER happen!!!
Once you live here for a while, you start to understand the
culture, well enough to want to avoid it. Now be careful, I am not at all
saying the culture here is wrong, opposite in fact. It is very right, but it is
right for Mozambique right now. It might change and it might not. In Mozambique,
as well as many other African countries, it is normal for a man to have a few
women or a few wives ( I think the King of Swaziland has something like 30 wives!).
Anyway in the past men openly had many wives and provided and supported them.
Nowadays it is not as common, but still happens. What is more common these days
is for men to have two women or wives, without them knowing about each other.
One of my Mozambican girl friends told me that if your man isn’t with you, then
you need to assume that he is with someone else. Women generally accept this.
They are not ok with it, but they accept it. They accept it because they have
no choice. Divorce is unheard of here. It is possible, but a divorced woman is
shunned. She is no longer worth anything and will most likely never find
another man. Women would rather save their reputation and stay with a cheating
husband than deal with the repercussions of leaving him. Trust is only as deep
as knowing the truth of the culture. Now since I know this, I also know I can
never trust a Mozambican man. I come from a culture where monogamy is key and
trust is a must. I hate jealousy and I would hate to be constantly wondering
where my man is! Now don’t get me wrong, there are plenty of men who don’t do
this, but I am not willing to find out who.
I was having a conversation with my colleagues last night
about just this thing. Now these two men are happily married with children.
They are good men. But that doesn’t mean anything here. They said, “Cheyanne,
sometimes you just get tired of fish and you want some chicken.” I am assuming
you get the analogy there. They admit plainly to me that they are sometimes unfaithful
and they try to tell me that it helps their relationship with their wife- keeps
them interested. Now who am I to say what is wrong or right? I just know that
this is not right for me. I, of course, countered their argument with the fact
that we too get tired of fish. So if they can go get some chicken, why can’t
we? They were appalled by this idea. hahaha. Such a double standard!!!! We are
definitely not allowed to do that or they will leave us at the drop of a hat.
Hahaha. I said fuck that, I can do anything you can do better!! And this
demonstrates one of my daily cultural exchanges here in Moz! Always surprising them with my
frankness!
No comments:
Post a Comment