As far as my group goes, I have to fix yet another small,
meaningless detail and print yet another copy before they will grant me
permission to even start the group- 4TH TIMES A CHARM! And even
after I turn the damn paper in again, I still have to wait for the big head
honcho to approve. It’s not looking good! You would think I was asking to start
a drug-makin’ club and not a theater group! Mozambican school politics are out
of this world! The hierarchy system makes me crazy sometimes!
My most
frustrating day in Moz over, I move on to other challenges like being told I
can’t play volleyball by a student or having another student ask- “why can’t
you speak Portuguese?” Making me want to scream- WHY CAN’T YOU SPEAK
ENGLISH!!!! YOU HAVE HAD YEARS OF ENGLISH. I HAVE HAD ONLY A FEW MONTHS OF
PORTUGUESE!!! AAAAGGGGHHHHH!!! Of course I don’t because I am a patient and
caring teacher- eh?
One thing I
am slowly getting used to (or more frustrated by) is that Mozambicans like to
say exactly what they think when they think it. And I mean anything- really!
Here are a few great examples:
-What is
wrong with your face? Did you go to the doctor? (about my pimples).
-You are
getting too fat- you should exercise (about a friend’s weight)
-Gordinha or
little fat girl- you need to run more (about my slightly larger Mozambican 4
year old neighbor)
-Can you buy
me a beer, you can afford it because you are white (a police officer to us at a
restaurant)
-Can you
translate for her- she can’t understand (a colleague assuming because I can’t
speak port. I can’t understand it either- NOT TRUE! I am actually very good at
understanding!)
-Can I have
a candy- (kids on the street because we are white and must always have candy
for them)
- Baby, I love
you-or Do you want to have sex? (because everyone wants to sleep with the white
girls and oh boy do we liked to be asked that question by complete
STRANGERS!!!!!!!)
Etc…
In some ways
it is nice that they are brutally honest and judgmental. You don’t have to
guess anything. It is very different than the politically correct environment
of the United States where we judge people all to hell, but only in our heads
or behind their backs- eh?
On to
another day!
Hysterical - but what is that red thing on your nose and why are your toes short and why don't you have candy and money and want to have sex with me huh why>? 0 0
ReplyDelete<>
~~